Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
Difficulty Level: Advanced
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (2oz) Buholzer Brothers Dill Havarti Cheese, shredded
- 1 (5oz) package Spring Greens or mixed salad greens (8 cups)
- 1 cup Cucumber, thinly sliced and peeled
- 1/2 cup (2oz) Buholzer Brothers Dill Havarti, shredded
- 1/4 cup bottled Vinaigrette or Italian Salad Dressing
- 4oz thinly sliced Smoked Salmon, cut crosswise into strips
- 2 tbsp Fresh Dill, chopped (or 1 tsp dried dill)
- Heat oven to 450ºF. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl; whisk in milk. Add flour and salt; whisk well. (Some small lumps of flour will remain.) Whisk in butter.
- Coat eight 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins** with cooking spray; dust lightly with flour. Pour batter into cups filling 1/3 full. Divide cheese evenly over batter. Pour remaining batter over cheese filling cups 2/3 full. Place cups on a baking sheet; bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF; continue baking 20 to 25 minutes longer until puffed and deep golden brown (do not open oven during baking time). Immediately remove popovers from muffin pan to serving plates.
- While popovers are baking, combine greens, cucumber, cheese and dressing in a large bowl. Toss well and transfer to four serving plates. Top salads with salmon and dill. Serve with warm popovers.
- *If dill havarti is not available, use regular havarti tossed with 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill for the popovers.
*Popovers may be made in a muffin tin (medium size with 4-ounce cups). Coat 10 of the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Fill 10 cups as directed and bake as above.