Active Time: 40 Minutes
- 4 medium acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium apples, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- 8 ounces Buholzer Brothers® Gouda cheese, shredded and divided (2 cups)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 15 x 10-inch baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Cut tops off of squash; remove seeds and discard. Brush cut sides of squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Place squash cut side down on prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer sausage to a bowl. Wipe out the pan.
- Sauté onion in remaining olive oil in the same pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add apples and sage; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until apples are tender. Stir in the spinach, apple butter and sausage. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups gouda.
- Spoon sausage mixture into squash. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining gouda. Bake for 5-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
© Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin