Active Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 3 servings
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
- 4 tbsp butter, softened and divided
- 1 and 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-2 tbsp stone-ground mustard
- 6 slices rye bread
- 4 oz. Buholzer Brothers™ Brick Cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- Sauté onion in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until tender. Season with 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper. Remove from the pan; keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Warm 1 tbsp butter in the same pan. Stir in mushrooms; cook for 3-4 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Season with the remaining salt and pepper. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl; keep warm.
- Spread mustard on three bread slices. Layer each with a third of the onion, mushroom mixture and brick. Top with remaining bread. Spread the outside of sandwiches with the remaining butter.
- Warm an electric griddle or the same skillet over medium heat. Toast sandwiches, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until bread is lightly golden brown. Flip sandwiches; cook, uncovered, for 2-4 minutes longer or until bread is lightly golden brown and brick is melted.
©2019 Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin