Active Time: 35 minutes
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Fry bacon, in batches, in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Wipe out the pan.
- Melt butter in the same pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and whisk for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low; gradually whisk in 3 cups gouda until melted. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the potatoes, bacon and 1 cup gouda in a large bowl. Pour cheese sauce over potato mixture; toss to coat.
- Spoon potato mixture into a greased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining gouda. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake for 10-15 minutes longer or until top is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Credit: Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin