Active Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) uncooked pappardelle pasta or pasta of choice
- 10 ounces Buholzer Brothers® Gouda cheese, shredded (2 1/2 cups)
- Additional shaved Buholzer Brothers® Gouda cheese
- Select sauté setting on Instant Pot® and set to high heat. Warm olive oil. Pat short ribs dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper. Brown short ribs in oil, in batches, on both sides. Set aside.
- Cook and stir shallots in oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen any browned bits from bottom of pot. Cook and stir for 3 minutes longer.
- Select cancel setting. Add the reserved short ribs, thyme and red pepper flakes. Pour in marinara sauce.
- Cover and lock lid; ensure vent is closed per manufacturer’s directions. Select manual setting. Increase pressure to high; set time for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente; drain. Keep warm.
- Select cancel setting. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes when cooking is complete. Quick release any remaining pressure, as directed by manufacturer.
- Skim fat from sauce. Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Insert forks to ensure meat is tender. Transfer beef to a cutting board; shred meat. Return beef to sauce. Gradually stir in gouda until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve ragu over pasta. Garnish with shaved gouda.
© Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin