Yields 9 Pastries
Active Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Advanced
- 3 oz Buholzer Brothers Gouda Cheese
- 1 box frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp strawberry preserves
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 9 small fresh strawberries, hulled
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a 15 x 10-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cut gouda into 9 cubes, about 3/4-inch each. Set aside.
- Unfold one puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut out nine pastries with a 3-inch flower cookie cutter. Transfer to prepared pan; chill flowers. Repeat unfolding and cutting steps with the remaining pastry.
- Cut windows, removing centers from nine flowers with a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Save pastry scraps for a different dish. (See recipe tip.)
- Brush edges of the solid flowers with water; top with window flowers. Place 1/2 teaspoon strawberry preserves into the center of each flower; top centers with reserved gouda cubes.
- Brush egg wash on the pastry of each flower. Bake for 10 minutes. Press a strawberry into the center of each flower. Bake for 4-5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve warm.
© Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin