Active Time: 45 minutes
Yields: 6-8 servings
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
- 3 tbsp butter, cubed
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) fresh or frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 5 oz Buholzer Brothers Havarti Cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/3 cup julienned roasted red peppers, drained
- 6 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 oz Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Melt butter in a heavy, large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20-25 minutes longer or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove onions from the skillet; cool completely.
- Brown sausage in the same pan over medium heat; drain. Set aside.
- Roll out and stretch pizza dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch circle. Press dough on the bottom and about 1 inch up sides of a greased 10-inch springform pan.
- Spread pizza sauce on dough bottom. Sprinkle with fontina. Top with the onions, reserved sausage, red peppers, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Cool slightly before serving.