Active Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 8 servings (1 cup each)
- 5 tbsp Butter, cubed and divided
- 3 lbs. medium Onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 12 oz. Lager Beer
- 4 cups (1 quart) Beef Broth
- 8 oz. Pretzel Rolls, buns or bread, cubed
- 10 oz. Buholzer Brothers Brick Cheese, shredded (2 ½ cups)
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in a Dutch oven over low heat. Add onions; cook covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in sugar. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 35-40 minutes or until onions are deep brown, stirring frequently.
- Gradually stir in beer; allow soup to boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir in beef broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat. Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until broth is slightly reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400 degrees F. Melt remaining butter; toss butter with pretzel bread on a 15 x 10-inch baking pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until bread is toasted, turning once.
- Ladle soup into eight ovenproof serving bowls. Top each with bread cubes; sprinkle with brick. Broil for 3-4 minutes from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Compliments of the DFW.