Yields: 6-8 servings
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Difficulty Level: Advanced
- 8 oz. Buholzer Brothers Brick Cheese, shredded
- 1 package Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Napa Cabbage head
- 1 lb. mild Italian Sausage
- 1, 15 oz. can Diced Tomatoes, any seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Parsley to garnish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a pot to a rolling boil. Chop bottom of cabbage off, and remove outside leaves that are rougher in condition. Select the best leaves for cooking.
- Put ice water in a large bowl. Set near the frying pan.
- Submerge a couple leaves at a time into frying pan for 30-45 seconds, and then put directly into ice bath for 20-30 seconds. Place on onto dry cutting board and pat dry with paper towel. Cook remaining cabbage leaves.
- Heat frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a dollop of oil and coat all sides of pan. Add sausage to pan and brown. Add pinch of salt.
- Once sausage is fully cooked, remove from pan and place on baking sheet, and put into fridge to cool off. Cook mushrooms in frying pan; add pinch of salt. Once soft, add mushrooms to sausage to cool in fridge. Using the same pan, put can of tomatoes into the pan to warm on low heat.
- Remove mushrooms and sausage from fridge and add 6oz of brick cheese. Place meat mixture onto cabbage leaves and roll up like a burrito. Lay cabbage rolls side by side into 9”x9” baking dish. Scoop tomatoes on top of each roll, and top with remaining brick cheese.
- Place baking dish into oven for 20 minutes. Once done, remove from oven, and garnish with fresh parsley.
Recipe courtesy of chef Ryan Boughton.