Yields: 2-4 servings
Active Time: 40 minutes (plus, chill for 1 hour)
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
- 8 oz Buholzer Brothers Havarti Cheese, ½ inch dice
- 1 lb., ground pork
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seed
- ½ tbsp chili pepper flake
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup cornstarch
- garnish: fresh basil and Kalamata olives
- Combine chili flake, fennel seed, sausage, bread crumbs, shallot, and eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Portion into 1 oz and wrap a piece of Havarti cheese with the sausage into a ball. Repeat with all and chill for 1 hour.
- Dredge meatballs in cornstarch.
- In a heavy bottom skillet over a medium-high heat, brown the meatballs on all sides, drain off excess fat.
- Add tomatoes, cover and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, add water to tomatoes if they cook down too far.
- Remove meatballs from pan and serve with Kalamata olives, fresh basil, and the pan sauce.
Recipe courtesy of chef Ryan Boughton.