Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Difficulty Level: Advanced
- 1 lb. Elbow Pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 large Potatoes, unpeeled
- 8 slices thick-cut Bacon, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups of Cabbage, shredded
- 2 Leeks, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp Red Chile Flakes
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 3 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 cup (4oz) Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4oz) Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4oz) Buholzer Brothers Havarti Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Scallions, sliced, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta al dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook potatoes in pot of boiling water until fork tender. Allow to cool completely. Peel with pairing knife and shred with box grater. Set aside.
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy and browned. Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to plate lined with paper towels. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from pot. Stir in onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add cabbage and leeks. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon black pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir and continue cooking about 5 minutes more until mixture is soft. Fold in shredded potatoes and remove from heat. Transfer to large bowl and set aside.
- Place milk in medium sauce pot and bring to barely a simmer, over medium heat.
- Return large pot to stove and place over medium-high heat. Add butter and melt. Whisk in flour and cook about 10 seconds. Carefully add warm milk, while whisking continuously until all of milk has been added and butter/flour mixture has completely dissolved. Lower heat to medium and cook until thickened. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon black pepper and paprika. Once thick, remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, toss together Monterey jack, cheddar and havarti. Add cheeses to hot thickened milk, reserving about 1/2 cup for topping. Stir with wooden spoon, until cheese has melted. Fold in pasta, cabbage mixture, bacon and scallions. Pour mixture into 9×13-inch baking dish or into individual 8-ounce ramekins. Top with bread crumbs and reserved cheese. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly. Place under broiler a few seconds to brown and crisp the top. Serve warm and garnish with sliced scallions on top.