Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 medium leeks (white parts only), coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (2oz) Wisconsin Blue Cheese, at room temperature
- 8 sandwich-size slices whole wheat bread
- 1 cup (4oz) Wisconsin Medium OR Sharp Cheddar Cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup (4oz) Buholzer Brother’s Havarti Cheese, coarsely grated
- In large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat. Add leeks and cook until very soft but not brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Reserve skillet.
- In small bowl, use fork to mash remaining 2 tablespoons butter with blue cheese. Mix well.
- Spread blue cheese butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Place 4 slices, buttered- side-down, on work surface. Distribute leeks on bread followed by cheddar and havarti. You may need to use your hand to compress the cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered- side-up.
- Heat skillet 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Put sandwiches into pan, cover, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until undersides are golden brown. Watch carefully as blue cheese butter can burn fairly easily.
- Turn sandwiches, pressing firmly with spatula to flatten slightly. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until undersides are well browned. Remove cover, turn sandwiches once more, and press firmly with the spatula once again. Cook for 1 minute, or until cheese has melted completely. (You may need to peek inside to make sure). Remove from pan and cool 5 minutes. Cut in half and serve.