Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 3 servings
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
- 1 medium Onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp Pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sliced Mushrooms
- 4 tbsp softened Butter, divided
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Stone-Ground Mustard
- 6 slices Rye Bread
- 1 cup (4oz) Buholzer Brothers Brick Cheese, shredded
- Sauté onion in oil in a medium saucepan until browned, tossing occasionally. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Remove from pan. Keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter in the saucepan until tender, stirring occasionally, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Remove mushroom mixture from pan.
- Spread 1 to 2 teaspoons mustard on three slices of bread. Layer each bread slice with a third of the onion, mushroom mixture and cheese. Top with remaining bread.
- Spread the outsides of sandwiches with remaining butter. Toast sandwiches on an electric griddle or in a warm skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly golden brown and cheese is melted